Long the heart of Denver's central business district, The Equitable Building, also known as the “Queen of Seventeenth Street” or the “Wall Street of the Rockies”, made its home at the corner of Seventeenth Street and Stout in 1892. This prominent landmark has given Denver a sense of pride and sophistication since its eradication proving that Denver could become the prominent commercial center of the Rockies and shake its rough mining camp image.
Its founders, the Equitable Life Assurance Society of New York, erected Denver’s premier office building designed in a prominent Bostonian fashion. This well-preserved landmark has stood the test of time among skyscrapers of the 17th Street financial district. If its walls could talk they would tell you tales of the railroad passengers visiting the city, miners, infamous murderers, questionable deaths, and even a ghost story or two.
In the 1890’s The Equitable housed many of Denver’s most prominent lawyers, politicians, and businessmen. Before the building of the State Capitol, the Equitable housed the executive offices for state government officials such as U.S. Senator, Edward Wolcott, and Colorado Governor, Julius Gunther. The Denver & Rio Grande and the Colorado Department of the U,.S. Army had their offices in the building as well. The First National Bank of Denver made the Equitable its home in 1896. The fifth floor became the region's largest law library and Mary Lathrop, one of the first women admitted to the American Bar Association, opened her practice there as well.
The Equitable changed hands several times in the 1950’s and 60’s, always selling for around $2.5 million. In the 1980’s, the building went through two $2 million renovations. In 2000, the Equitable was converted to office condominiums, a project that cost near $5.5 million. Through the generosity of the History Colorado's State Historic Fund and a partnership with Historic Denver, Inc., a new exterior restoration project is taking place.